r-anne-dom : a place for me (anne) to leave random blog posts.
Such as:
..knitting, sewing, and other random activities pursued
..Girl Guides of Canada : yep, Guiding Lives Here
..the 4 shops on Etsy : one features quality handmade items; the second has lots of patterns, & crafting supplies; the third is stocked with Vintage; and the fourth is guiding flowers.
Enjoy the r-anne-domness!

May 04, 2009

Keisha's Topsy Turvy Doll

Keisha has finished her doll!

Isn't she beautiful!

I just love her adorable nose!

I forgot to ask if this doll has a name, so I'll update this post if I find out.

Keisha contacted me in June 2008 - she goes to school in the UK and contacted me through my Etsy shop ennadoolf.etsy.com. I sell Topsy Turvy dolls in my Etsy shop and Keisha wanted to make her doll as a school project as part of her textiles coursework. We talked about the history of Topsy Turvy dolls and how it is believed that they were first created, and how such a doll may help to teach diversity.

From this website:
The Topsy-Turvy design dates back to before the American Civil War, when many of these dolls were actually mixed race – white on one side, black on the other. Often they featured a well-turned mistress of the house, backed by a raggedly dressed black servant. [...] Interestingly, after the Civil War, the design of the doll shifted somewhat and the dual identity became that of a white child and its black mammy caretaker, indicating that some conceptual difference had taken place in the minds of its creators.

Congratulations, Keisha - a beautiful doll!!

No comments:

Post a Comment