r-anne-dom : a place for me (anne) to leave random blog posts.
Such as:
..knitting, sewing, and other random activities pursued
..Girl Guides of Canada : yep, Guiding Lives Here
..the 4 shops on Etsy : one features quality handmade items; the second has lots of patterns, & crafting supplies; the third is stocked with Vintage; and the fourth is guiding flowers.
Enjoy the r-anne-domness!

October 23, 2010

Vintage Love Saturday - Rescuing Linens

Vintage Love Saturday

Rescuing Linens

Isn't this a cute little zipper pouch?

It was sold in a shop on Etsy - Making Cents - and I contacted the shop owner to tell her how much I loved it.
Sadly it was sold.

We have a vintage tablecloth that my husband's grandmother embroidered. It has seen better days but I'm hoping that a project similar to this one might help me to rescue the tablecloth!

It's a great way to ensure that all the detail in vintage items is saved for future generations.

And yes, another project to add to my never-ending list! 

Some day.

I'll try to find the tablecloth and add a photo of it to show some of the embroidery I plan to save.

What other ideas do you have for rescuing linens?  Leave them in a comment!

This post is presented to you by my vintage shop - VintageAndSuch - and is part of Vintage Love Saturday hosted by Southern Lady's Vintage.
And part of Air Your Laundry Friday on Freckled Laundry.

11 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing how items are upcycled! I love the pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always buying old linens and handkerchiefs with the intention of repurposing them into something else, but most of the time I can't make myself cut into them. I guess I need to buy the ones that have definitely seen better days - maybe then it won't be so hard! ::Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty!! What a great idea for one that has seen it's better days. I have also seen pocketbooks made from larger tablecloths that have rips or stains and just salvaging what is left in the design. Also incorporated into runners, etc. Great post! Thanks again for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems lots of us have a love of vintage linens, especially the embroidered pieces. It's nice to know that they are being purchased by people to display in their own homes or upcycled to create a beautiful new piece like the cute little zipper pouch you pictured.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely ... you have to be confident to cut and sew those old pieces, don't you? If they're already stained or torn, it's easier to start.

    I had a single pillowcase and framed the embroidery from it.

    The word "rescued" is one of my favorites ... if I ever get my Etsy shop Loneweever re-stocked, I'll have a lot more "rescued textiles" there ... I love making stuff from old tropical shirts or homespun dishtowels...

    Anyway, the zippered pouch is awesome.
    laurie
    etsy shops: loneweever and threeoldkeys

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anne! I'm so happy you stopped by today! Love your example sounds like a great idea. I do custom designs with old embroidered linens folks don't know what to do with. You can visit my website brownginghamcreations.com and see some of my designs, maybe you'll get an idea. Also if you go back to blog post Tuesday
    June 1, 2010 I have a whole table done using that Dutch tablecloth.....Dutch dishes...aluminum...the whole tablesetting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so very pretty. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling piece. It warms my heart to think that there are people like you that appreciate the time and hardwork of embroidery. What a great way to upcycle. I'm sure your tablecloth pouch will be lovely! Thanks for linking up to my first air your laundry friday party!

    Hugs,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete