r-anne-dom : a place for me (anne) to leave random blog posts. Such as: ..knitting, sewing, and other random activities pursued ..Girl Guides of Canada : yep, Guiding Lives Here ..the 4 shops on Etsy : one features quality handmade items; the second has lots of patterns, & crafting supplies; the third is stocked with Vintage; and the fourth is guiding flowers. Enjoy the r-anne-domness!
with contributions from the Sparks, Brownies, Guides & Pathfinders of Oakridge
Girl Guides celebrated their 100th anniversary in 2010.
As part of the anniversary/centennial celebrations, Quilt Canada invited Girl Guides to put on a Special Exhibit of '100 years of Guiding' in quilts.
Girl Guides have been making quilt for years, and they could not display them all since many have been made as service projects and given away to those in need. Others have been made as gifts for retiring Guiders while others have been raffled off to raise funds for camps and activities.
Quilt Canada managed to borrow a number of quilts to exhibit, and included a photo display in order to show as many as possible.
We submitted photos of this Guiding quilt. It is beautiful and includes squares made by the Sparks, Brownies, Guides and Pathfinders of Oakridge (in London Ontario Canada).
Well, I got off to a bit of a rocky start. :) I am *so* new to crochet - I've only made one terrible dishcloth and 2 pairs of slippers (one of which was probably full of mistakes like the dishcloth).
In all those projects, new stitches were always made using the holes created by the previous rows of stitches.
So that's how I thought this pattern was. Wrong!
I wasn't getting the pretty open square pattern that attracted me to this Mesh Raglan pullover in the first place!
So I visited the blog and read everyone's comments (some are already working on the sleeves!!) and then visited Ravelry and read everyone's comments there.
And I discovered that I shouldn't be creating my new stitches using the hole created by the previous stitch. Instead, I should go through the stitches at the top of the "column" created by my "dc" stitch.
I also discovered I did the corner stitches wrong and didn't have enough stitches at the end of 3 rows.
So I frogged back to the base stitches and started again.
I've completed 3 rows now (and they're not error-free but I hope they'll be ok).