r-anne-dom : a place for me (anne) to leave random blog posts.
Such as:
..knitting, sewing, and other random activities pursued
..Girl Guides of Canada : yep, Guiding Lives Here
..the 4 shops on Etsy : one features quality handmade items; the second has lots of patterns, & crafting supplies; the third is stocked with Vintage; and the fourth is guiding flowers.
Enjoy the r-anne-domness!

August 06, 2016

Saturday Spotlight - Ziraldo Alpacas


Saturday Spotlight 

Ziraldo Alpacas


1.     What is the name of your shop or business and what do you sell?

I sell alpaca products made from the fibre of our own animals.
Including: Alpaca yarn, roving, hand knit accessories, socks (regular, diabetic and work), insoles, felted soaps and wool dryer balls.
I also sell kits to make wool dryer balls and hand felted soaps.

We sell alpacas too!

We offer workshops on making wool dryer balls, felting soap and dyeing yarn.  Keep an eye on our website and fb page for upcoming workshops.
  
2.     Where are you located? or where do you sell?
21370 Fairview Rd. Thorndale
Our farm store is open by appointment. Just call or email to arrange a farm visit.

I attend several events in the fall, leading up to Christmas, where I show and sell my products.
I also have “Chirstmas Shopping Days” at our farm at the end of November and beginning of December.
It is a great opportunity for folks to Christmas shop for warm and comfy, locally produced alpaca products
Dates of off farm events and our Christmas Shopping days will be posted on our website and fb page.

3.     Do you have your own website/store or online link?
Farm store open by appointment
Website:  www.zalpacas.com


4.     How long have you been doing your craft/art and how did you get started?
We have had our farm at Thorndale for 31 years. For the first several years we raised Standardbred horses and then transitioned into alpacas 9 years ago.
I already had an interest in spinning, weaving and knitting and chose alpacas because I knew that they had exquisite fibre that I could make into gorgeous yarn. They were also beautiful animals and smaller and easier to care for than horses.

5.     Who or what inspires you to create?
My alpaca yarn inspires me. The animals produce so many beautiful natural colours. Every year my yarn lots are somewhat different and jump start my imagination and creativity.
I am always looking about in the world and on the internet for new and unique uses for my alpaca fibre.

6.     Do you listen to music when you work, and if so what kind?
Music isn’t a big part of my creative process. Often I enjoy peace and quiet as I work.


7.     What do you like least/most about your craft?
The thing I like least is the vegetation that the alpacas collect in their fibre – from their food and bedding. It is a lot of work to get it out and it is never, ever all gone! I try to view the presence of the vegetation as a sure sign that these are natural products.

8.     Describe your workspace?
I don’t have a workshop, or studio. I just work at my kitchen table.
When I dye yarn, I do it in our garage.

9.     What is one of your best moments as a crafter/artist?
When someone buys some of my yarn or a knitted article and I see that they truly appreciate the fibre journey from the daily care of the animal, to shearing, sorting, processing and then to the beautiful yarn or final creation.


10.  What advice would you give to anyone thinking about starting their own craft business?
Follow your passion!
If you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life.

Thank you Debbie!

Visit Ziraldo Alpacas today!

No comments:

Post a Comment